Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Day 1: Friday November 4, 2005

Training 1: Line-0 + control picking (two loops).
This training was a great introduction to the terrain. I found it a very good first exercise, right from the start we learned what the terrain looks like, and what features are useful for fast, smooth orienteering. My first impression was that the features on the map (especially the contours) were in general easy to read, and that following along the line was not particularly difficult, although somewhat slower than expected. I however made my first mistake after climbing through some light green, and didn't get on the correct ridge. My second mistake in the controls was in issue of concentration, after finding Karen at control 4 with a twisted ankle, and I was thinking more about her on the way to control 5, then the map. Realized my mistake fairly quickly. On the second loop the line-O became easier to read and a little faster. On the controls I found I was getting a little tired, but could still concentrate. Several controls were not set, which ended in a congregation of runners (Helen, Christine, and I) at control 4.
Take home message: Light green is thick and difficult run ability. It will be even worse in the summer. When making route choice decisions, avoid the light green. Dark green is thick coniferous pines, you can get through it, and it won't get thicker in the summer. Sometimes the pines are planted in rows, making running through it not particularly hard.
Posted by Picasa

Loop 1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home