Saturday, August 05, 2006

WOC Relay

Well, today was quite a disapointment. I ran the last leg after Matthias Merz and Daniel Hubmann. Both did great races so that I could start as the 2nd in the forest, a few seconds after the leading Russian, Valentin Novikov.
Unfortunately things didn't turn out so well from quite early on in the course. I had the bad idea to go through a very tough green to my second control, where I lost my direction and than lost some time relocating. Unfortunately in the process of fighting through the bushes I got something in my right eye. At first I thought it would go away, but instead it bothered me always more during the course. I lost a lot of energy trying to concentrate enough not to make any bigger mistake because of my bad sight. But to the 5th last control I didn't succeed in keeping the damage under control. I searched for the control maybe 90 seconds and Mattias Karlsson from Sweden passed me. This way I also missed a place on the podium, and I came in the finish 4th, behind 1. Russia, 2. Finland, 3.Sweden. Congratulation to them!

Having missed such a chance for a WOC medal, especially in the relay is a big disapointment. But life goes on... in 3 days I have my first exam of a very long spate.

3 Comments:

At 8/07/2006 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the next time...

 
At 8/07/2006 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear it was a stick-in-the-eye that slowed you down. At least that's rare, and not a sign that your body's failing :) But sucks for it to happen at WOC.

Are you going to follow Simone's example and get yourself some O' glasses??
- Wyatt

 
At 8/07/2006 5:15 PM, Blogger SaMa said...

Now I am considering it more than ever to wear glasses. I would rather not have such an experience again, and I would like to get old with my two eyes. Furthermore sight is absolutely central in dentistery. Most people wear glasses when they have lenses, like Simone. But fortunately I don't have (yet) this problem. There are 2 problems with glasses: 1.when it is humid you can't wear them. If you haven't trained your reflexes than I have heard it is pretty dangerous without wearing them. 2.I like to keep things the least complicated possible, this way there is less stuff which can disturb me... e.g. I don't use tape, gaiters, or a watch when I compete. One could say I am just lazy when packing :-)...

About the branch, astonishingly it is almost only at the important races that these kinds of accident happen... I think there is a mental aspect I can learn from this experience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home